By Jamie Mills
With momentum continuing to build, the 4th annual Collaboration Beer Fest will gift attendees with more than 75 unique brews this year.
The March 25 Denver festival has moved from Mile High Stadium to the National Western Complex and will feature the efforts of 150-plus breweries from around the world.
There are 20 states represented this year, as well as collaborations with brewers from Finland, Sweden and Italy. Each beer is the result of a Colorado brewer teaming up with brewers from near or far and each beer is crafted specifically for this event, according to the Colorado Brewers Guild, which puts on the event. Brewers are allowed to pick whoever they want to pair up with and the style of beer that they want to produce. Brewery Rickoli, for example, worked with Colorado Plus Brew Pub and Taphouse to create a Red Wheat IPA for the festival. Both breweries are located in Wheat Ridge.
Attendees who are lucky enough to get tickets will hear stories of how the collabs came about and why certain styles were chosen.
“Collaboration Fest has surpassed all expectations from when we first started talking about the idea of this beer festival. There is no other beer tasting event like this in the country,” said Steve Kurowski, director of operations for the Colorado Brewers Guild.
“Brewers love to brew beer with friends, and by creating a collaboration they are able to push their own limits and experiment with new styles and techniques,” according to the CBG website.
In addition to unlimited beer, food vendors, live music and other entertainment is promised.
The festival runs from 3-7 p.m. March 25 for VIP ticket holders and from 4-7 p.m. for general admission. General admission tickets are $60 and come with unlimited tastings and a commemorative glass. VIP tickets are $85 and include an hour early entry, unlimited tastings throughout the event, commemorative glass and a VIP T-Shirt. Some collaboration beers will be available at the brewers taprooms, yet most are exclusively for tasting at the event only.
SPECIAL BREWERS GUILD BEER
As you enter collaboration fest this year, you will be greeted by a session pale ale brewed by Colorado Brewers Guild board members. Tim Myers, co-owner at Strange Craft Beer Co., and Colorado Brewers Guild board member, gave us a sneak peak at this year’s welcome beer.
The session pale features all Colorado ingredients. Malt was obtained from Colorado Malting in Alamosa, and the hops came from High Wire Hops in Paonia.
“The whole emphasis of the brew is the very late first hop addition,” Myers said. “(The hopping) lends itself to a mellow hop bitterness with a hugely disproportionate hop character. This will be an extremely hoppy but not bitter session pale at 4.2 percent ABV.”
CBG collab malt & hop profile
DEETS FOR THE GEEKS
- 400# - CMC Pale Malt
- 50# - CMC Crystal 20
15 Minute Addition
- 50 oz of High Wire CTZ
- 25 oz of High Wire Chinook
- 36 oz High Wire Cascade
- 36 oz High Wire Crystal
Collabfest Participants Include:
- 105 West Brewing Company and Chain Reaction
- 38 State Brewing and Backcountry Brewery
- 4 Noses Brewing Co. and Wibby Brewing
- Alpine Dog and Mountain Toad
- Barrels & Bottles Brewery, Golden City Brewery and Holidaily Brewing Co.
- Beryl’s Beer Co. and Goose Island
- Bierstadt Lagerhaus and Call to Arms Brewing Co.
- BJ’s BrewHouse and Shine Brewing Co.
- BJ’s BrewHouse and RedStone Meadery
- BJ’s BrewHouse and Bryggeri Helsinki
- Black Bottle Brewery and Blue Point Brewing
- Bonfire Brewing and Casey Brewing and Blending
- Bonfire Brewing and Breakside Brewery
- Boulder Beer Co. and New Holland Brewing
- Butcherknife Brewing Company and Mountain Tap Brewery
- C.B. & Potts - Highlands Ranch and Dead Hippie Brewing
- Call to Arms Brewing Co. and Spangalang Brewery
- Cannonball Creek Brewing Company and Hogshead Brewery
- Cannonball Creek Brewing Company and Left Hand Brewing Co.
- CAUTION: Brewing Company and WestFax Brewing Company
- Cerebral Brewing and Great Notion Brewing
- Chain Reaction Brewing and Galveston Bay Beer Company
- CO-Brew and Grandma’s House
- CO-Brew and Southern Brewing and Winemaking
- Colorado Brewers Guild Board: Strange Craft Beer Company, Ska Brewing, Left Hand Brewing, Funkweks, Odell Brewing Company, New Belgium Brewing Company, Upslope Brewing Company, Renegade Brewing and Pagosa Brewing Company
- Colorado Plus Brewpub and Brewery RIckoli
- Comrade Brewing and Überbrew
- Copper Kettle and Bruz Beers
- Crooked Stave Artisan Beer Project and Omnipollo
- Crystal Springs Brewing Company and BRU Handbuilt Ales and Eats
- Declaration Brewing and Dark Horse Brewing Company
- Declaration Brewing and FATE Brewing Company
- Denver Beer Co. and Altitude Chophouse and Brewery
- Diebolt Brewing Co. and Proper Brewing Co.
- El Rancho Brewing Co. and Shine Restaurant & Gathering Place
- Elevation Beer Company and Spangalang Brewery
- Epic Brewing Company and Melvin Brewing
- Epic Brewing Company and Telluride Brewing Company
- Equinox Brewing and Coppersmiths Brewery
- FATE Brewing Company and Reuben’s Brews
- Fermaentra and Blue Moon Brewing Company RiNo
- Fiction Beer Company and Ursula Brewing Company
- Fiction Beer Company and Mystery Brewing Company
- Florence Brewing Company and Bristol Brewing Company
- Fossil Craft Beer Company and Lake Charlevoix Brewing Company
- Fossil Craft Beer Company, Cerberus Brewing and Fieldhouse Brewing Company
- Golden City Brewery and Nantahala Brewing Co.
- Gravity Brewing and KettleHouse Brewing Company
- RiNo Brewery Collaboration: Great Divide Brewing Co., Epic Brewing Co., Bierstadt Lagerhaus, Beryl’s, Our Mutual Friend, Zephyr, Ratio, Zephyr, Black Shirt, Crooked Stave and Mockery
- Great Divide Brewing Co. and Maplewood Brewery
- Grist Brewing Company and Tommyknocker Brewery
- Grossen Bart Brewery and Verboten Brewery
- Holidaily Brewing Company and Ghostfish Brewing Company
- Horse & Dragon Brewing Company and Pinthouse Pizza Craft Brewpub
- Horse & Dragon Brewing Company and Funkwerks
- Jagged Mountain Craft Brewery and Vail Brewing Co.
- Jagged Mountain Craft Brewery and ÜberBrew
- Joyride Brewing Company and Little Machine Beer
- Kannah Creek Brewing Company and Roaring Fork
- Launch Pad Brewery and Ursula Brewery
- Liquid Mechanics Brewing Co. and Comrade Brewing Co.
- Liquid Mechanics Brewing Co. and Überbrew
- Living the Dream Brewing Company and Pikes Peak Brewing Company
- Living the Dream Brewing Company and Alter Brewing Company
- Locavore Beer Works and Aquanaut Brewing Company
- Locavore Beer Works and Goldspot Brewing
- Lone Tree Brewing Co. and Platt Park Brewing Co.
- Mockery Brewing and Molly’s Spirits
- Mockery Brewing, Baere Brewing and Inland Island Yeast Co.
- Nighthawk Brewery and Barnett & Sons Brewery
- Odd13 Brewing and Kane Brewing
- Odd13 Brewing and New Image Brewing
- Odell Brewing Company and Georgetown Brewing
- Odell Brewing Company and New Belgium Brewing Company
- Odyssey Beerwerks and River North
- Our Mutual Friend Brewing and Wiley Roots Brewing
- Ratio Beerworks and WeldWerks Brewing
- Renegade Brewing and Ozark Brewing Company
- Rock Bottom Orchards and Pumphouse Brewery
- Sanitas Brewing Company, Gunbarrel Brewing Company, Asher Brewing, Bootstrap Brewing and 12 Degree Brewing
- Sanitas Brewing Company and Sixpoint Brewing Company
- Ska Brewing and Boulder Beer
- Sleeping Giant Brewing Company and Bosque Brewing Co.
- Something Brewery and Blue Moon Brewing Company RiNo
- Something Brewery and New Boswell Brewing Company
- Station 26, EatDenver and the Colorado Brewers Guild
- Station 26 Brewing Co. and Exile Brewing Company
- Station 26 Brewing Co. and 4Hands Brewing
- Steamworks Brewing Co. and Dry Dock Brewing
- Summit County Collaboration: Breckenridge Brewery, Backcountry Brewery, Dillon DAM Brewery, Broken Compass and Pug Ryan’s Brewing
- Strange Craft Beer Company and Freetail Brewing Company
- The Brew on Broadway and Black Sky
- The Post and Sleeping Giant
- The Post Brewing and Dogfish Head
- The Post Brewing Co. and Rubber Soul Brewing Co.
- TRVE Brewing Co. and Cerebral Brewing
- TRVE Brewing Co. and Burial Beer Co.
- Two22 Brew and ÜberBrew
- Upslope Brewing and Resolute Brewing
- WeldWerks Brewing Co. and Great Notion Brewing
- Westbound & Down Brewery and Powder Keg
- Wonderland Brewing Company and Grateful Gnome
- Wynkoop Brewing Company and Pikes Peak Brewing
- Zwei Brewing Co, and C.B. & Potts - Fort Collins